Dear District 30 Family,
I hope you are all continuing to do well! In addition to touching base with the members of our family, this email is to share this week’s update from our Glenview/Northbrook COVID-19 Task Force (now linked to the task force website). Please note that the Northeast region metrics remain on track for Phase 3 operations by May 30. I am continually thankful for the coordination and collaboration between our villages and leaders to help us navigate our current situation.
A highlight of the week occurred as Mr. Simon Allen, the CEO of McGraw Hill, joined Mr. Karnoscak’s class from London to discuss a letter he received from one of Mr. Karnoscak’s students advocating for further implementation of electronic textbooks. The letter was written as part of the fifth-grade argumentative writing assignment this year. It requires students to argue a position from a research-based position, including counterclaims, to their arguments. The classroom Hangout discussion was impressive as Mr. Allen, and our students held an insightful and informed debate of the advantages and disadvantages of print vs. electronic texts.
The discussion included thoughtful advocacy for both resources. One student highlighted that many books are made from sustainable forests, which is the case with McGraw Hill. Students also recognized that electronic texts offer more flexibility with videos, graphics, animations, etc. Mr. Allen reinforced that we are living through history now, and while printed materials will not incorporate current events for months or years, electronic resources can be updated instantly. Our students impressed Mr. Allen and several members of our administrative team who listened in on the conversation!
Thank you to everyone who completed our e-Learning survey last week. We appreciate everyone’s grace, recognition of our hard work, and suggestions for evolving our Remote Learning Guidelines. Results reinforced much of what we have observed during our inaugural effort.
A few key reminders:
- We continue to update our plans regarding how to best proceed educationally through the year:
- Decisions that have been made:
- Review a comprehensive list of decisions.
- You should have received an email from your principal regarding our plans for materials pick up and drop off for June 10 & 11. Please make arrangements to come during your assigned time slot.
- We hope that your children participate in our Virtual Field Day starting today as our teachers worked on next year’s schedules and collaborated around instruction today.
- Senior Walk for Wescott and Willowbrook will occur virtually next Friday. Look for information from your schools to celebrate our seniors and the impact District 30 had along their journeys!
- Maple School’s Student Council Variety Show will be released for viewing on Wednesday, June 3, at 9:00 a.m.
- Maple School’s Awards Ceremony will be released for viewing on Friday, June 5, at 9:00 a.m.
- Wescott and Willowbrook’s Promotion Ceremony will be released on Monday, June 8, at 9:00 a.m.
- Maple School’s Graduation Ceremony will be released on Monday, June 8, at 7:00 p.m.
- Other issues for future consideration:
- Updating our Remote Learning Guidelines for e-Learning should they be needed in the fall or for future snow days.
- Our process for completing District 30’s Phased Reopening Plan that aligns with the Governor’s Restore Illinois Plan.
- Decisions that have been made:
- Please keep checking our Parent School Closure and e-Learning FAQ. We will keep it updated and will add answers to important questions that arise as we all navigate our new, temporary normal.
Our primary goal is to maintain connections with our students in a concerted effort to continue a sense of normalcy. I am thankful for and proud of our entire District 30 Community. We wish you a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!
Dr. Brian K. Wegley