Dear District 30 Family,
I hope that this email finds you well and that you’ve had a great beginning to your summer!
We held our Board Meeting last night. Thanks to our Willowbrook PTO for their substantial donation toward our new Willowbrook playground! Our meeting included the following relative items:
The Board officially hired:
- Kelsey Martin (Speech-Language Pathologist) at Willowbrook
- Ashley Bakal (2nd-Grade Teacher) and Sara DeAngelis (Occupational Therapist) at Wescott
- Jamie Coan (Gifted K-5 Math Teacher) serving Wescott and Willowbrook
- Trisha Kearns (6th-Grade Science Teacher) and Lauren Braverman (Special Education Teacher) at Maple
Please help welcome these individuals into our District 30 Family!
The Board approved the resignations of Sam Pilnick, Cynthia Beltran-Islas, Michael Kliedorfer, Amy Oyer, and Lynda Kruse. We wish these individuals well.
The Board was also informed about several leaves.
The Board also approved all summer school staff and Josh Bryant’s (Special Education Teacher) in-district change from Maple to Wescott.
Updated 2022-23 Staffing Plan Approved
The Board reviewed and approved the following updates to the staffing plan:
- Including 0.4 FTE for art and music instruction at Wescott to support scheduling needs and an increase in elementary orchestra participation from 86 to 127 students
- Adding an aide to assist our Math Intervention Specialist
- Increasing from two to three long-term substitutes to assist with the ongoing substitute shortage
- Adding two additional School Assistants (one at Wescott and one at Willowbrook) for 2.5 hours per day to increase the flexibility of aide utilization in our buildings
2021-22 Opening of School Plan Updated
The Board formally approved changes that will continue in D30’s Summer School:
- Recommending face masks in school buildings and buses when the region’s transmission level is designated as high
- Sunsetting the requirement of verifying that visitors to our schools are vaccinated
Approval of IESA Cooperative Maple Wrestling Team
The Board approved the IESA Application for Cooperative Team Participation and the IESA Cooperative Team Agreement to expand this athletic opportunity to Maple School, Wood Oaks Junior High, Northbrook Junior High School, Field Middle School, Attea Middle School, and Springman Middle School for the 2022-23 and 2023-24 school years. It will be exciting to resume wrestling at Maple next year!
Strategic Planning Update
The administrative team provided a progress update on the 2020-21 Strategic Plan in support of the District 30 Board Goals:
Goal 1: Increase District 30’s capacity to systemically collaborate within grade-level teams to execute the cycle of continuous instructional improvement.
Goal 2: Ensure District 30 facilities possess the capacity to support our evolving and emerging programs and contribute to optimal educational experiences.
The Board also officially approved our 2022-23 Strategic Plan, which included three Board Goals.
Student Services Report
Ms. Schulman shared this year’s Student Services Report, including her gratitude for the Board, Administrative Team, our EL and Special Education Teams, our Psychologist, our Nurses, and our entire staff for their continued support and commitment to all of our students. She reviewed Health Services and our English Language Learner and Special Education Programs. Her presentation highlighted the strength of our diversity with 45 languages spoken within our district, the broad range of services our nurses support, and the many interventions that support our students. Ms. Schulman wove her pride in the continued high level of support throughout her entire presentation! The Board thanked Ms. Schulman and her entire team for their hard work and dedication to our students throughout the year!
First Reading of PRESS Aligned Board Policies
District 30 has updated our Board Policies to align with the Illinois Association of School Board’s PRESS Policies. These policies followed four review cycles, legal counsel input, and a review by our Board Policy Committee. This updated policy manual will be considered for approval on July 16, 2022.
Mrs. Blonder’s highlights from the last Character Counts meeting included our strategic planning efforts along with pride in how deeply this work is embedded within District 30. Mrs. Artz reviewed NSSED’s previous meeting, including strategic planning progress and the approval of next year’s budget.
Let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to join us at our next Board Meeting on July 14, 2022, at Maple School. Topics of the meeting will include:
- Considering approval of our updated Board Policy Manual
- Discussing D30’s 2022-23 Opening of School Plans
- Reviewing Maple School’s traffic study that could result in a different student pick-up pattern in the fall
Enjoy the weekend and happy Father’s Day to all of our dads!
Dr. Brian K. Wegley